ContentDept MenuMain Menu

Greenlee County

County Seal

Greenlee County Attorney
Frequently Asked Questions

Reporting a Crime

How do I report a crime?

If you believe a crime has been committed, you should contact the appropriate law enforcement agency.

If the incident occurred in the Clifton city limits, call the Clifton Police Department:

(928) 865-4566

For all other areas in Greenlee County, call the Sheriffs Office:

(928) 865-4149

For an emergency anywhere in the county, call 911.

Where do I report consumer fraud?

You can contact the Arizona Attorney General's Office:

1275 West Washington Street
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 542-5025

For problems with bad checks, contact the County Attorney's Bad Check Program:

(928) 865-4108

Family Problems

What number do I call to report a case to Child Protective Services?


(888) SOS-CHILD or (888) 767-2445

How do I press charges if someone in my home is being physically or sexually abused?

If this is an emergency, call 911. If not, the County Attorney's Office receives cases through law enforcement agencies.

If the incident occurred in the Clifton city limits, call the Clifton Police Department:

(928) 865-4566

For all other areas in Greenlee County, call the Sheriffs Office:

(928) 865-4149

The Graham/Greenlee Safe House can be reached at:

(928) 348-9104 or (800) 786-7380

How do I get an Order of Protection to keep my partner from harming me or my children?

You can obtain an order of protection at the following Greenlee County Justice or Magistrate Courts:

Clifton Magistrate
510 N. Coronado Blvd.
Clifton, AZ

Justice of the Peace
Court # 1
Greenlee County Annex Bldg
253 Fifty St
Clifton, AZ

Superior Court
Greenlee County Courthouse
223 Fifth St
Clifton, AZ

Justice of the Peace
Court # 2
1684 Fairgrounds Rd.
Duncan, AZ

I want a divorce and also need help getting child support. Can the County Attorney's Office help me?

The County Attorney's Office cannot provide legal advice or take legal action in your divorce. You should consult with a private lawyer.

For matters concerning child support, call the Arizona Department of Economic Security's Child Support Enforcement Department:

(928) 865-4131

I am a senior and have a legal question. Where can I get legal advice?

You or a family member on your behalf can call the Elder Law Hotline:

(800) 231-5441

Through the Hotline, you can speak with an attorney for free if you are an Arizona resident and are at least 60 years of age. Visit the Elder Law Hotline’s web site, for more information.

Being a Victim

I am a Victim. Can I drop the charges?

Many people incorrectly believe a victim has the power to “press charges” or “drop the charges” against the accused. All crimes are considered offenses against the State, not only the victim; therefore, the Greenlee County Attorney's Office prosecutes criminal complaints on behalf of the State of Arizona. Only the attorney prosecuting the case can decide to file or dismiss charges, though the victim’s opinion is important in that decision. A variety of factors are taken into account when deciding whether to honor a victim’s request not to proceed with prosecuting, including:

  • the nature and extent of the defendant’s criminal history
  • the severity of the alleged crime
  • whether the defendant has other pending charges in the criminal justice system
  • future danger to the community

What are my rights as a victim?

Article 2 Section 2.1 of the Arizona State Constitution provides for the right of victims of a crime. Visit our Victims’ Bill of Rights page for a list of those rights.

I am a victim of a violent crime. Will the prosecuting attorney pay for my hospital bills and lost wages?

The Arizona Crime Victim's Compensation Fund may be able to help you with out-of-pocket medical expenses, lost wages, funeral expenses, loss of support and mental health. Visit our Victim Compensation page for more information.

I am having trouble dealing with the emotional impact of the crime. Where can I get counseling?

Violent crimes often leave more emotional scars than physical ones. To speak to a counselor, contact:

SEABHS (South Eastern Arizona Behavioral Health Services Inc.)
430 N. Coronado Blvd
Clifton, AZ 85533
(928) 865-4531

For after hour Emergency Services call

(800) 586-9161.

Going to Trial

What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?

A misdemeanor is a crime punishable by a fine and no more than 6 months in jail. A felony is a crime that carries a prison sentence in the State Department of Corrections for more than one year.

What is the difference between Justice Court and Superior Court?

Misdemeanor cases occurring in Greenlee County are tried in the Justice Court. Felonies are tried in the Superior Court.

What is the penalty for a misdemeanor?

Class 1 misdemeanor: Maximum of 6 months in jail, $2,500 fine, 3 years probation.

Class 2 misdemeanor: Maximum of 4 months in jail, $750 fine, 2 years probation.

Class 3 misdemeanor: Maximum of 30 days in jail, $500 fine, 1 year probation.

There are also petty offenses. The maximum fine for these is $300.

Where can I get a police report?

If your case is set for a pretrial conference and you are the defendant, your lawyer will get a free copy. If you want to see the report more quickly, you may obtain it directly from the law enforcement agency at a small charge.

If your case is set directly for trial and you are the defendant, your lawyer may pick up your police report and other disclosures at no charge at the Greenlee County Attorney's Office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Note that it will not be available until 20 days after your arraignment.

If you are a victim or witness, you can obtain a police report from the law enforcement agency involved at a small charge.

How can I contact the prosecutor assigned to my case?

You can call the Greenlee County Attorney's Office at (928) 865-4108. You will need to know the defendant's name and, if possible, the date of the next hearing. The prosecutors are often in court, so please be prepared to leave a message with a phone number where you can be called, both before and after 5 p.m.

How can I get restitution for my loss?

If you have suffered a monetary loss, such as damage to your home or medical bills, because of a crime committed against you, the judge may order restitution in the amount of your loss if the defendant was found guilty. If the defendant does not pay the amount, notify the judge or the prosecutor or file a restitution lien against the defendant's property.

Do I have to testify at a trial if I don't want to?

If you are the defendant, you have a right to remain silent, and the judge and jury are not allowed to hold your silence against you. If you are a witness or victim, however, you must testify. If you have concerns about testifying, talk to the prosecutor in the case.

What should I do if I will be late or can't make a court appearance?

You must attend all court appearances. If you have a problem before the day of a misdemeanor trial, you have to file a motion to get a new court date. Forms are available at the appropriate court. If a problem occurs on the day of the trial, call the judge as quickly as possible. In felony trials, call your attorney as soon as possible. Note that only the judge can grant you a continuance.

How can I get an attorney if I can't afford to hire one?

You don't have to have an attorney for a misdemeanor trial. For a felony trial, the judge will determine whether your income makes you eligible for a court-appointed attorney.

What if I can't pay my entire fine at once?

The judge can set up a time payment program for you, based on your income. A fee of $20 is required for this service.

Employment Opportunities

How can I apply for a job at the Greenlee County Attorney's Office?

Contact the Greenlee County Board of Supervisors Office at:

Greenlee County Annex
253 Fifth St
Clifton, AZ 85533
(928) 865-2072


I need legal advice. Can I speak to an attorney?

The Greenlee County Attorney's Office cannot give legal advice to private citizens. However, we encourage you to seek advice from a local attorney.

County Attorney
P.O. Box 1717
Clifton , AZ 85533

Normal Business Hours:
Monday - Friday,
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Phone: (928) 865-4108
Fax: (928) 865-4665

Jeremy Ford, Attorney
Robert Gilliland, Chief Deputy Attorney

James Hopson, Attorney - Investigator
State Map w/ County Emphasized
County Seal Use

A.R.S. 11-251.17 Use of county seal restricted; cease and desist order; violation; classification

A. A person may use, display or otherwise employ any facsimile, copy, likeness, imitation or other resemblance of the county seal only after obtaining the approval of the board of supervisors of that county. The board of supervisors may grant a certificate of approval on application by any person showing good cause for the use of the county seal for a proper purpose. No person other than a county department may use the county seal for the purpose of advertising or promoting the sale of any article of merchandise within this state or for promoting any other commercial purpose. The board of supervisors may adopt rules for the use of the county seal or any facsimile, copy, likeness, imitation or other resemblance of the county seal, including rules for the use of the county seal for official county business. B. If the county maintains a website, it shall display on its website the adopted seal and the text of subsection A of this section. C. The board of supervisors shall issue a cease and desist order to any person who is in violation of this section. If the person fails to comply with the cease and desist order, the person is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.